Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cretaceous New Jersey amber (90-94 MYO) - rare ant (Formicidae, ...?)

Cretaceous New Jersey amber (90-94 MYO) - ant (Formicidae, ...?) - about 1 mm
© Anders Leth Damgaard - www.amber-inclusions.dk

It is unfortunately located in a way that makes it hard to get the perfect shot but it is perfectly preserved.
The oldest ant fossils there have been found on our planet comes from New Jersey and Burmese amber. So that ant, on my picture, you see in this photograph is about 29 million years older than Tyrannosaurus rex and one of the first ants, ever excited, on our planet.
This is the first time that this ant have been photographed and published - therefore I do not know the family yet. Can you help me with an ID?

I have a picture of the amber piece which this inclusion is in: www.flickr.com/photos/amber-inclusions/5286435244/
and 2 more close-ups:
www.flickr.com/photos/amber-inclusions/5290163024/
www.flickr.com/photos/amber-inclusions/5289557257/
_______________________

If you are interested in using this picture on your own homepage (non-profit and non-commercial purposes), I will allow this under the following conditions :
1.For the license, give credits to: "© Anders Leth Damgaard" and create a link to this web page:"www.amber-inclusions.dk". Please note clearly on your web site that I hold the copyrights.
2.You must attribute the work in the manner specified by me (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
3.If you alter, transform, or build upon the picture, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same license/copyrights as I have given my picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment